Northern Progress

We all have a story to tell. We tell our stories in various ways; we write, draw, sing and talk. This page is part of my story, welcome to it.

Along this road that many walk I hope you will be encouraged in your own story and begin to share it so that others may journey with you. Who knows, maybe we'll create a fellowship that will rival J.R.R. Tolkien.

In Christ

Rob

Tuesday, January 2, 2007

New Years Thought

As I prepare for New Years Eve I’m excited. I love the planning of parties, the fun in the decorations, the food, the music, the people, and the games and of course the countdown to the New Year.

I mean who wouldn’t be excited about all of these things; it’s such a great time. But I realized that I began to focus on the New Year. I remember growing up and my parents would always make new years resolutions. They would promise themselves that they would exercise more, drink less, be more outgoing, and argue less. I found myself making some of my own. I would be a better brother, do better in school, and do better at work. I remember promising that I would treat girls better; spend more time with my friends. Every New Years Eve became a time when I evaluated my life, my relationships and my time.

I would often get down on myself for screwing up my life, or being a “bad” or “horrible” person. The funny thing is that I’m not like that anymore. I don’t feel like I’m “bad” or “horrible”. I have value and my life isn’t determined by all the wrongs I’ve committed, or the people that approve or disapprove of me.

I’m not held to my mistakes anymore. I’m seen through these new glasses now that make me worth more than I could ever dream of. I am clean, and now as I look into the New Year; I look forward with confidence because no matter what I do Jesus will always be there to meet with me. He’s been misrepresented at times; He’s not angry or hateful. He’s not waiting for you to screw up so that He can lay down the smiting hammer. All He’s waiting for is us to respond to Him and let Him tell us our value and our ability to place confidence in His perfect love.

Think about where your life is at. Are you in a place where you feel like you are one of the “bad” ones? You’re not you know. Your life could be so much more than it is now not necessarily easier, but definitely more. Maybe it’s time to at least find out more about this Jesus guy and what He has to offer?

“For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”

Romans 8:38-39

In Christ
Rob Haslam

No comments: